Friday, January 4, 2013

Guten Morgen! No, wait. Um...Buenas tardes? Nope, that's not right either. I guess I'll have to pull out my evil villan voice and just say "Good Evening" with a creepy eyebrow raise.

So now that I got that out of my system, hiya. How're you? I'm good too, thanks for asking.

Well. Actually...I'm not so good. I was for most of today, but this evening kind of sucked. I took my MTEL today, my second teaching test in Early Childhood, and it was alright, I suppose. Weird questions to be asking about Early Childhood, unless K-2 involves discussing what the House of Representatives does and calculating Farenheit to Celsius. No, I didn't think so either. But whatever, it was easier than the practice test, so that's good.

I met my mom after and had a scrumptious (turkey) burger (insert pretentious non-beef eating statement here) and then we went and got cheap veggies and fruit at Haymarket in Boston and trekked home. I got another notice from Citizens, concerning an overdraft fee, which I thought I had paid already. Apparently not. The one they sent me was for $65. Okay, I thought, I can pay that. I'd have to do it out of my savings, but that's nothing new. So I went online to pay it and found that APPARENTLY I'm overdrafted by $235. TWO HUNDRED AND THIRTY-FIVE DOLLARS. That is a LOT of money for me and I called my mom in and I'm making her come with me to the bank tomorrow so we can dispute one of the stupid fees. They charged me $185 for God knows why. Sigh, sigh, sigh. Money. I hate it. But hey, I'm grateful that I'm not thousands of dollars in debt. I guess college loans would count but I actually don't have that much to pay back when I graduate. However, I digress.

I'm trying not to stress about this because I know that money doesn't MEAN anything. The only value it has is what we place on it, and money doesn't rule my life, even though I think it does sometimes. I have more in my savings than some people will make in an entire year, and I know it's the little things that count. I'm reading a wonderful book right now called Me to We - Finding meaning in a material world by Craig and Marc Kielburger, the founders of the wonderful organization Free the Children. I'm on the chapter about gratitude right now, and after seeing the huge overdraft that I owe, it was hard not to panic, but I am grateful that I have options on how to pay it off and that $235 is the least of my worries.

And if you haven't read Me to We, you should. You really, really should. It will change your life, I promise. And I never break promises :)

I will leave you with a quote that stuck with me today:
"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow." - Melody Beattie.

I don't know if anybody reads my blog, especially considering I just made it yesterday, but if you read this and make it all the way down to the end, I encourage you, my friends, to think about what makes you grateful and comment below!!

Love,
Karen
Pin It