Saturday, February 16, 2013

Money Money Money, Must Be Funny, in a Rich Man's World

Hello everyone, just a quick update. As I write this I'm waiting for my mom to call me so we can have what is guaranteed to be a good time (yeah....) doing nothing other than....TAXES! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! *Throws confetti everywhere*

Yeah....

Nope. 

Really, REALLY not looking forward to it, in fact. We usually do it together, when I go home, but this year I'm kind of super poor and have no money to take the train home, so she and I get to do it over the phone. There's bound to be some shouting and misunderstandings but every year I'm still her daughter at the end of it. 

So that's good....right? Luckily this summer I worked a nannying job and so I don't have an official W-2 form to fill out (mwahahaha). I made a grand total of $270 from the preschool I work at and I am sure the IRS is just shaking its head in disbelief that one person could be so incredibly poor.

It's so hard. I really really want another job in the time that I'm not at school, but to do that I need  a car. To get a car, I need money (of which I have practically none). So if I did get a car, I'd have to have someone 1. buy it for me, and 2. pay for my insurance for the first few months so I could actually save up some money to pay for it myself. And gas? Don't even get me started on gas.

I really wanted to go to an open mic today in Boston, and I had been planning on it for weeks. But when the time came, my boyfriend didn't have any money and I didn't want to pay for him - I know it sounds harsh, but even the littlest amount I can't spend right now - and it's snowing, so we didn't end up going in. It sucks because I *really* wanted to go and was looking forward to it.

I hope one day there will be a time when my wallet won't be empty and that I can have the choice to do something fun that costs a little (the event was free but the transportation wasn't), that I can get eye and dental insurance, new glasses, a cleaning, and most importantly, I can have a car so I can get to work.

I know these are things that are relevant to my culture. I know I'm very lucky to have the little money that I do, realizing that what's in my savings right now is more than some people will ever make. However, in this society, it doesn't go far. It's tough. I don't want to be worrying about money forever, and getting an apartment, paying bills, paying off student loans, getting a credit card - it scares me.

They never teach you this stuff in high school. Maybe if they did, there wouldn't be so many home forclosures and people would be able to pay off credit card debt. I don't know. One day at a time, I guess.

Karen
Pin It