Thursday, July 11, 2013

Ramadan Kareem, life updates, and new books!!

Hello everybody! First and foremost, I want to wish Ramadan Kareem/Ramadan Mubarak to all of my Muslim friends and the Muslim community here on blogger and at large. I hope that this month is full of joy, introspection, and spirituality.

For anyone who doesn't know what Ramadan is, it is the 9th month in the Islamic lunar calendar, and it is the month in which the Qur'an was revealed to the Prophet Mohammed. Muslims fast from sunup to sundown, and break their fast with Iftar, the evening meal. Anyone who is physically able fasts, and that excludes the sick, anyone with a nutritional deficiency, pregnant women, a woman on her period (as we lose iron that we need from food during the week), the very young, or the very old. 

The fasting is meant to not only help teach about hunger and poverty, but Ramadan is also a time to cut out many physical needs in order to become closer to God. From sunup to sundown, Muslims not only abstain from food or drink, but they also don't have sex, smoke or drink, and many limit their TV/internet/other social media time. Instead, many try to utilize this month to do extra works of charity, become closer to God, and some people read the entire Qur'an. Non-Muslims are also welcome to fast, and there have been people who choose to fast not because they're Muslim, but because they want to also move away from the materialism of this world, such as this woman, a Buddhist joining thousands of Muslims around the world for the fast.

In other news, I've been going to the library and I received my copy of Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham. I'm not very far into it, but it seems like an easy read! I like his writing style because it's simple and not condescending at all. I also love that he focused on solitary practitioners such as myself, as much of the focus was on covens and groups before he wrote that book. 



I also got The Life of Pi, which I started to read last summer in a moment of boredom at my job but never finished, and The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. They're for the high school summer reading, but we all know that high schoolers don't start their reading until a couple weeks before school anyway, right?



I also rented out the TV Series Pretty Little Liars, which I might do a first season review on when I finish it. I'm a little late to the party, but better late than never. Finally, Tony and I watched The Perks of Being a Wallflower with Logan Lehrman and Emma Watson and I have to say, that was FANTASTIC. I will DEFINITELY be doing a review for that in the next couple days because it just impacted me so much. 

That's it for now, friends!! Love you all <3

K
Pin It