Thursday, August 22, 2013

~ 30 Day Blog Challenge - Day 2 - Stop Judging My University Major! ~

Hello everybody! This will be a quick post, since I'm dog-sitting/house watching this week and in about 15 mins the dogs need to be walked (seriously, they get 5 walks a day. FIVE.). 

This morning I was walking the dogs and I ran into a neighbor of mine. She's pretty nice, and I've known her son Will since I was little, although we don't talk much anymore. We chatted about the normal stuff - my mom's new job, the kids of the family I'm house sitting for, etc. And then she brought IT up - "So, I heard that you're not an early childhood major anymore... "*looks expectantly for me to tell her what I switched to* I said "Yeah, I switched to Cultural Anthropology". And then I got it. 

THE LOOK.

You know what look I'm talking about - the one where you say something and you just know the person you're talking to is questioning your life choices and thinking you're making all the wrong decisions. This especially happens to college students, I feel, because people who are already in the working world like to tell us how much is absolutely sucks to be in the working world. 

Now, I know many people don't think my major choice is a good idea (and if they think mine is bad, my boyfriend's major is Sociology - and people think that is DOUBLY useless), and they think that I'm never going to get a job and I'm never going to make enough money to live and so on and so on. I understand these fears - in our economy, it's difficult for many people to get by day to day with a job that usually has a lot of work, like a trade job or business or what have you.

Personally, I feel that our society has become so focused on math and science that we've forgotten the benefits of what the arts, social sciences, and the humanities can bring us. In Anthropology, I'm refining my critical reading skills, my writing, my science (yes, I'm taking Biological Anthropology this semester!) and I'm also learning a lot of amazing things about the world and the people in it. 

I think people doubt that these skills will get me a job, but I'm also an idealist. I believe that there are so many people who are in jobs that they hate and are just "getting by" in life without being passionate about what they believe in. I'm passionate about the world, and culture, and travel, and I know for a fact that there are jobs in the world that encompass that. I'm not just setting my sights on some mundane life - and I mean, an office job would be mundane for me, but for some people it's great, so no judgments. I plan on working at a global level, if I can and I feel like Anthropology is the right choice for me to do that. 

So please, parents, relatives, nosy neighbors - leave me alone! Find your own passion and stop discouraging mine.  And remember, it's never to late to love what you do and do what you love! I think that's something that many people have forgotten but I hope that we can all reclaim it :)

Peace,

Karen
Pin It